Saturday, October 14, 2006

Kimberley by the hole


Folks in the US and India ask me about the big hole and diamonds all the time. So I thought I'd post a pic or two to show that colonial nightmare.





A visit to the DeBeers museum will not find any information on how the company profited on the backs of black suffering. And, the new rulers are hardly likely to push for that history to be shown. Seems it is better to just to forget and set aside what would interfere with the trajectory of the neo-liberal mindset that is the 'new' South Africa.



By the way, the picture with the crushed glass represents all the diamonds they mined from the Big Hole, all that suffering and mayhem for three cocoa-pans of diamonds. So, please don't support De Beers. A diamond may be "forever" but so is the suffering!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Broer
I went to the new look mine museum, was impressed with the re-vamp, but left with a bitter taste in my mouth. They have a short documentary on the history of the mine, and from this you can actually see how the diamond fields were built on the back of black sweat.
I don't know if their heads are so far up the arses, that they didn't notice how they portrayed the blacks or if we are just such non-persons that it didn't matter how the message was put across. If I was a whitey putting the documentary together, I think that I would at least have the brains to paint the picture a little differently.
Tony

Ridwan said...

Broer good to hear from you man! So no word on whether you are going to buy me that Hayabusa ... see my post "I Promised to Ride."

I can't stand De Beers broer. Hell you are absolutely right about the backs that were broken.

Shame is that Depico is now de Beers. Its Black front.

So history is erased and the people so forgotten.

Be good my friend. And safe in that whack-ass Howard hole

;0)

Peace,
Ridi