Friday, November 10, 2006

Durbar Square




One of the most interesting places in Kathmandu is Durbar Square. Durbar means "palace" and the temples that are to be found in the square represents hundreds of years of rule. Foreigners pay Nrs200 to wonder around the square and it is a bargain. Though I must admit that no-one checked to see if I paid. But hey the honor system was in place and I did my foreign duty to respect the law.


The architecture is spectacular. I felt overwhelmed. There was just so much to see and admire. I just walked around and stared in awe. In between touts kept pestering me to buy this or take a guided tour of that ... I just kept walking around like I knew what I was looking at.


I find that watching people is more interesting though. This poor man is just one of many I saw carrying similar loads throughout Nepal. In the rural areas you will come across women doing the same. There is more than just what appears in this picture. Nepal is a caste conscious country and the load carried by Dalits is evident everyhwere. I have been thinking about Gandhi's insistence that caste be removed from Hinduism. But if it is removed, what then remains of Hinduism?


Nontheless, Durbar Square holds many a story about religion, faith, and time. If you make it to Kathmandu, spend a day here. You will not be disappointed.

No comments: