Friday, December 01, 2006

World Aids Day: December 1, 2006

Bethuel Seshoke from Joburg holds a solidarity red ribbon to mark World Aids Day 2006.

For South Africa the situation seems grim indeed. A new report by the Actuarial Society of South Africa and the Medical Research Council predicts that more than 56% pecent of South Africa's 15-year-olds will not live to see their 60th birthday because of the scourge of HIV/AIDS. This is compared to 1990 when 29% would die before 60. See report at: http://www.mrc.ac.za/

HIV/AIDS has drastically reduced the life opportunities of South African youth in the post-apartheid era. The human devastation caused by apartheid is now joined by what may even be a greater suffering under HIV/AIDS.

The report furthermore estimates that 950 people died every day day during 2006 from AIDS related diseases in South Africa. And, 1,400 were infected every day in the same period. As it stands now there are almost 6million people living with HIV/AIDS in a country of 48 million people!

Only India has more people infected with HIV/AIDS than South Africa!

The life expectancy of the average South Africa is now 51 years, and in the hardest hit province of Kwazulu/Natal the life expectancy is a shocking 43.


President Thabo Mbeki's government has long dragged its feet on prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. I wonder if he now accepts that HIV causes AIDS. Is it even a relevant debate given the numbers that are infected already?


A good sign is that the President has turned a cold shoulder on Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang's persistance that HIV/AIDS be treated with garlic, lemons and African potatos. I wonder if Dr. Tshabalala-Msimang would treat the common cold with the same brew?


Anyway, Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ncguka is supposed to make public a new plan for fighting HIV/AIDS today. I am keeping my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath just in case!


I am sad that my friend and colleague in struggle, Carl Flipper, is not around to commemorate World Aids Day with us. My brother succumbed to cancer at the too-young age of 57 in Portland just a couple of days ago.

Carl was an activist who was committed to bringing Oregon and South Africa closer together. He and my best friend, Sam du Plessis, were instrumental in highlighting the development plight of South Africa in the Pacific Northwest.


I know Sam will miss Carl and his energy but I expect that he will forge ahead as Carl would expect.


Over the last two years Carl and I exchanged views about HIV/AIDS and racism in Africa. We did not always agree but I know that my brother was committed to finding ways to combat HIV/AIDS in the motherland.

In our last email he talked with great spirit about a program on AIDS he watched on The Charlie Rose Show. I will miss Carl. My heart goes out to his family in this time of grieving.


Sam (here with grandson Luke) please join me in dedicating this humble post on World Aids Day to our brother Carl Flipper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Broer Ridwan:

I wholeheartedly join you in dedicating your blog and this day to our beloved brother, Carl F. Flipper. It pains me greatly knowing that he is no longer with us in the Struggle. But forge ahead we will as you've also indicated in your narrative. We must do everything in our power for our countrymen and women in gaining victory over the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Our nationhood needs to prosper and grow for the benefit of generations to come. Brother Carl's charge to us would be to do nothing less, but secure the future of our Young People.

The Almighty bless us in the noble efforts to care for His children.

Sam