Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Counting Sparrows


The days cannot go by as fast as I want. Every angst filled second and moment is too long as I wait to climb aboard sanity for a two day trip back to South Africa via Abu Dhabi. Right now all I want to do is stand in the sun overlooking the ocean around Cape Town ... even Kimberley if we had an ocean. Well there is that flamingo filled lake of sorts that sits adjacent to Roodepan.


I can't wait to drive my own car and go where I want and when I want. No haggling about the cost of Tuk-Tuk fare. Just looking at my 2006 VW Citi Golf here makes my feet itch. I bought that car in two minds since it is really 20 year old technology (though still produced as new in SA). And I have never really 'bonded' with it but now I feel only luv sitting here in Delhi and pining ... even though I paid nearly as much as a new Jetta would cost in the US. But it's paid for dammit! I own a VW Citi Golf ... yippee ... ;0(


So please let me drive and open the windows (they still crank up/down manually) and work through the five speed gear box as I navigate post-apartheid potholes and the general mayhem that is SA roads. Oh we have our own crazee taxi drivers but I am yet to see a taxi from inside in SA. But when my Citi Golf gets stolen (since it is the most stolen car in SA) I may have to use a taxi or two ... oh please don't get stolen little car!


I'm so homesick right now that even cricket news from SA is exciting. Now what is up with Herschelle Gibbs and the 'racist' comments crap?

Though I understand what Gibbs may have meant with his comment I can hardly muster any sympathy. By now some of you must know that he was banned for two tests after he said that the Pakistani fans were acting like "animals" ... ummmmm, my cullard brother you should know that the cricket fraternity is eager to prove that racism is a multiracial affair. In fact, the very survival of white identity is tied to constructing a context where anyone, regardless of historical space or race, can be deemed a racist.

And who the hell better to call a racist than a mixed up bushie who does not know that he is not white? Sorry boeta, you gets what you sow.


As long as no-one calls my boy Hashim Amla a terrorist in this series like that racist Aussie commentator Dean Jones did in 2006 I'll be OK. After all, we all know what a racist criketer and commentator looks like. All the same though, Gibbs is on his own and though I applaud Amla for helping to win the first test against Inzy's boys I still hope they loose the damn series. I still can't get down with supporting SA's almost-all-white team.

As for India's recent performance at the wicket in SA all I can say is .... damn you arrogant asses suck.

Ok, now someone is gonna call me a racist again and it will be hard to defend myself given the crap posted here and below. I need to go hide ... ummm not! Dad, keep the stoep light on cause your 'spear-chucker' boy is coming home in a week. Slaap lekker till then.

2 comments:

::MENNO:: said...

Hi Ridwan!

I'm safe back home almost a week now. Back in civilization in Mooi's words... It's cold, it's raining, it's storming, but I'm loving it ;) Last weekend the weather was dry, so I took my racing-bike out for a spin, great to be working out again in the clean dutch air!
I hope you're still hanging on there. Only one more week?
I read your post which discussed the concept of the white jesus. It reminded me of a beautiful documentary I've seen a while ago, "Searching for the wrong-eyed Jesus", a sort of a search for religion and music in the south of the USA in the form of a road trip by country-singer Jim White with a statue of a black Jesus in the trunk of his car. This is the link to the site of the documentary:
http://www.searchingforthewrongeyedjesus.com/

Take care and have a good trip back home!

Menno

Ridwan said...

Hola Menno:

It is good to know you are safe and settling back into your life. I am going to look at the website on the 'wrongeyed jesus' for sure. Let me know how you are and whether you have decided on your next race.

Give my best to Laurien and Josephine.

Delhi misses you brother! ;0)

Keep in touch now.

Peace,
Ridwan