Sunday, August 19, 2007

Soulful Sunday

I can think of no other Soul artist who influenced what I thought about love more than Teddy Pendergrass (TP). Growing up in South Africa I idolized this man and his music. And even now there are but a few who can reach deeper.

It has just passed midnight here on the left coast and this is my own "Quiet Storm" rememberance of the last TP songs she had cued to play before leaving us all forever.

It has taken me fourteen years to listen again.

I know now that there is resilience in the human spirit. But there are also falls that remain even after forever is through. I am just so pained still that I was not there to listen beside her.



Teddy Pendergrass: "In My Time" 1984.

"you know im no beginner, my hearts been to the wall
i'm a tried and true romantic, who's seen and done it all

when you walked into my life, suddenly i knew
all the love i had inside, was leading me to you
in my time, i've lived and loved so much
but through each high and low, i let my heart be touched

in my time, there isnt much i've missed,
i've seen love come and go, but heaven knows, i've never loved like this
in my time

after all that i've been through, i'm in love with you ..."

2 comments:

Dade Cariaga said...

A touching post that hints at a sad tale. She is still with you, obviously...

Peace,
Dade

Ridwan said...

Hello Dade:

Thanks so much for looking in here brother.

Yes she is still with me. In a way that only blood can be.

I hope you are having a great, if even unseasonly cool, day in PDX.

Peace and best wishes,
Ridwan