Saturday, December 15, 2007

Friday Night Wisdom and Humus

Last year around this time I found myself travelling through occupied Kashmir with my friend Faizel Mooi.

I remember hurrying back from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia to New Delhi in India and then leaving the next day to meet Mooi in freezing Srinagar.


As I sat in front of the gas heater at our hotel I thought through the substance of our now 21 year friendship. It made me smile and grimace at the same time.

Last night Mooi arrived at my parents house with a bag of green mangoes in one hand and an overnight bag in the other. He had driven 5 plus hours from Johannesburg (Joburg) to spend an evening at number 11.

Somewhere in-between our talk about the American empire Mooi made a very concise observation about soon to be President Hillary Clinton that stuck to my political ribs.





"Hillary Clinton is just a more intelligent George Bush" he said as we tried to contemplate what the American future may hold for global politics.





I would have to agree with bra Mooi. He is a man of few words, at least ones I can understand and relate too, but when he rolls on his realism politics it is usually straightforward and curiously profound.

This morning Mooi left for Joburg again with his usual dismissive persona on display. He says he has a jazz concert or sumthen scheduled for tonight.

I suspect there is a fairer sex explanation hidden somewhere inside this appointment.

Or at least I hope so!

As he climbed into the passenger seat of a Toyota I playfully said:"When you gonna get married man, it's no longer funny to be single at 43?"

Mooi looked back at me without as much as an expression and replied in monotone:"I am waiting for you to get married so you can tell me what it is like."

Ummmmmmm ... yeah I am no fan of Hillary too ;0)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story.
Think Hillary is really going to get it??
Its going to be quite the interesting, and sad election.

Ridwan said...

Thanks for your comment Dione. Hillary is a good conservative who can't "get it" ...

Peace,
Ridwan

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! Theres that special wit, I apreciate so much :)

Anonymous said...

"I am waiting for you to get married so you can tell me what it is like."

LOL @ Dat... yeah mr ridwan when you getting married.. cuz i wanna know too.. nosey that i have become...lol

glad to see you enjoying your stay back in homeland.

just wanna drop by and said hello =:O)

Ridwan said...

Salaam Gigi. It is great to hear from you.

I think you will make it down the aisle before me sista ... ;0)

Be well hey ... I will look in on you too when I get settled with dial-uppppppppppppppppp!

Peace and luv lil' sista,
Ridwan