Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dumb Sh*t You Hear

Yesterday (Wednesday) was declared a public holiday to allow for voting in municipal elections across South Africa.

Hundreds of thousands of citizens made their way to polls to mark their political thinking on who should govern their municipal areas.

I used the day to catch-up with a few friends and tidied-up around my place.

Around noon my boy D. and I went to a few bookshops in Menlyn Mall (Pretoria) where I had the uncontrollable urge to cuss out a few managers for their poor reading selections (I could not find any Rayda Jacobs titles despite her being a South African writer of note). 

D. saved the day by calling for lunch and coffee and we settled into talking about the elections.

Somewhere in our conversation we tried to count (on one hand) the folks we know who made it to the polls.

We started with our middle-fingers but could not think of anyone to salute.  Guru included (he was playing asexual middle-age uncle/friend to a couple of women in his social circle in Joburg).

I still can't think of anyone I know who went out to vote yesterday.  And none of the folks I know are apathetic.

The folks I know are just tired of being sold the same contrived sh*t that goes for politics in Mzansi.

AnyHowze, late last night I heard Advocate Pansy Tlakula, the Chief Electoral Officer of the Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC), give a press briefing on the vote and its progress.

She ran through some numbers and then added the most idiotic thing I have heard come out of a public official's mouth (this week).

Tlakula reported that two voters had died waiting in line to vote in the Western Cape.  A tragic occurrence without doubt (may they rest in peace).

Pansy Tlakula
Tlakula then added the following statement missing several cerebral beats:
"We would like to wish a speedy recovery to the families of the victims."
Huh?  Is she seriaz?

My head really needs a "speedy recovery" and more than just an aspirin will be needed!!

I could also really use a good bookstore like Powells Books in Portland.

Onward!

Picture Credit

No comments: