Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rogue US Soldier Kills Women, Children in Afghan Rampage

Mail & Guardian
Mamoon Durrani (Alkozai, Afghanistan)
March 11, 2012 (16:04).

Sixteen Afghans were killed by a rogue American soldier who walked off his base and opened fire on them in their homes in the early hours of Sunday, Afghan and Western sources said.

An Agence France-Presse (AFP) reporter counted 16 bodies -- including women and children -- in three houses in two villages of Panjwayi district in the southern province of Kandahar.

A senior Afghan government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, put the death toll at 15 -- "nine children, three women and three men are dead", he said, adding that Afghan President Hamid Karzai was "very angry".

The shooting is likely to worsen relations between Washington and Kabul, which already plunged to an all-time low last month after the burning of Korans at a military base near the Afghan capital.

Nato's International Security Assistance Force said it had arrested a soldier "in connection to an incident that resulted in Afghan casualties in Kandahar province", without giving a figure for the dead or wounded.

Killed and burned
"In one house, I saw 10 people, including women and children killed and burned in one room. Another woman was lying dead at the entrance of the house," the AFP reporter said from the scene.

Among the dead were "at least two children, two or three years old".

One other person died in a second house in Alkozai village while four more were killed in nearby Najeeban, he said.

In one house, an elderly woman screamed: "May God kill the only son of Karzai, so he feels what we feel."

The deputy commander of US-led Nato forces, Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw, expressed "profound regrets and dismay at the actions apparently taken by one coalition member in Kandahar province".

"One of our soldiers is reported to have killed and injured a number of civilians in villages adjacent to his base," he said.

'Such callous acts'
"I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts, but they were in no way part of authorised ISAF military activity."

The US embassy in Kabul also issued a statement extending "its deepest condolences to the families of the victims of today's tragic shooting incident in Kandahar province".

"We are saddened by this violent act against our Afghan friends. We assure the people of Afghanistan that the individual or individuals responsible for this act will be identified and brought to justice."

Afghan and Western sources said the rampage began after a US soldier walked off his base in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The incident comes just weeks after the Koran burning ignited violent anti-US demonstrations in which some 40 people died. During the protests, six American troops were killed when Afghan soldiers turned their weapons on their allies.

But there was no word on what might have motivated the soldier's actions in Kandahar.

Negotiations under way
The Afghan government official said Karzai had dispatched the army chief of staff to head an investigation into the incident.

Washington and Kabul are negotiating a long-term strategic partnership deal governing their relations after US-led combat troops pull out in 2014.

The treaty would likely cover the legal status of US troops remaining in Afghanistan after 2014 to help Kabul with intelligence, air power and logistics in the fight against the insurgents.

In Iraq, Washington abandoned its pursuit of a strategic partnership deal and pulled out all its troops, leaving no residual force, after failing to get Baghdad to grant its soldiers legal immunity.

Afghan resentment of US forces was also provoked by a video posted online in January showing US Marines urinating on the bloodied corpses of slain Afghan insurgents -- an incident condemned by the Pentagon.

And in November, the ringleader of a rogue American military "kill team" charged with murder for shooting civilians for sport was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison by a military panel.

Kandahar is a stronghold of Taliban insurgents fighting to oust Karzai's government, which is supported by some 130 000 US-led Nato troops.

Comment:  Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai is said to be "very angry".


These murders are Karzai's just as much as they are Obama's.  Let us not forget that it was Karzai who sold his people to the imperial bastards who just weeks ago p*ssed on dead Afghan bodies, then burned Qur'ans, and now killed at least 16 innocent civilians - nine are just children!

The American who pulled the trigger will be shipped off to the US and declared insane in a military trial.

Obomber will appear soon and apologize again and the world will be made to forget that even while this vile American soldier was killing innocents the US had drones elsewhere in the country doing the same.

When is enough enough?

When will the heavens bring relief and justice to the innocents?



Kweli said...

I was listening to this last night and thinking: what hypocrites! Americans are busy running Stop Kony campaigns when they should be running one to stop their own military.

We may get spotty coverage and soldiers peeing on bodies and other people burning Qura'ans, but the war in Afghanistan is also very significantly "staffed" by private contractors (both American and their local subsidiaries) and we almost never see coverage of what those people are doing. I think there is less scrutiny on them compared to the military.

Ridwan said...

You are absolutely right Kweli. This war is about business and profits - anything goes.

There are a grip of South Africans who are armed privateers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is altogether disgusting because like you say we don't know the half of what is going on.

The Kony issue is a longstanding one. But it is a bandwagon issue now that smokescreens what the US is doing with drones in the region.

Why they all hyped-up about Kony and the LRA now? What purpose does it serve?

Oh and Angelina Jolie has added her f*cked-up two cents worth so it must be the next Darfur moment.

Whatever. The Kony video is nothing more than another patronizing moment in which white folks in the west replicate colonial discourse to make themselves feel superior - in power to do the work of their god-given burden.

I say Kony is a murderous f*ck but so is Obama - only he is worse.

Obama kills innocent children on the daily - so where's the viral video?

How many innocents have died today because of Obama and his imperial stooges?

In Palestine the killing has been going on for three days without a peep from Killary or the first black president.

Palestinians are burying their dead even while Israel uses American fire power from the air on a forcefully ghettoized people.

And we should be appalled by Kony only?

My head is beyond hurting my brother - "but still we rise" because we must.

Be well up there Kweli.


Anonymous said...

i am disgusted to be an american.


Ridwan said...

Hey there Lauren:

I absolutely understand your sentiment and you are not alone.

These days it is just about a sham to be anything but disgusted with the state of our world.

Much love and Onward!