Saturday, October 14, 2006

New Delhi



I am growing used to being away from home. New Delhi is a wonderful place with centuries of history and layers that need careful evaluation before one jumps to conclusions. These pictures are some of what I have seen in the two and half months that I have been at Jawaharlal Nehru University. The first picture is of Jama Masjid. It was built by the same Shah Jahan who commissioned the Taj Mahal in Agra.


I climbed up one of the minarets to get a view of Delhi and take this picture. Though it is free to enter the mosque, they charge Rs20 climb the minaret. Since it is a mosque you need to take your shoes off while inside. I tied my sneakers to my backpack earlier and walked around the mosque quite unhindered. When I purchased my ticket for the minaret the official told two French women they had to accompany me. A big sign says all women must be accompanied by a man "for their own safety." The women obliged but we hardly stayed together once out of the sight of the official.

At the entrance to the minaret stairs a little girl of no older than 10 shouted at me to leave my shoes behind. She had a very official and authoritative tone. She asked for Rs20 but her father (presumably) said Rs10 to keep watch over my offending shoes. I just went along with the ruse. I got to the top of the minaret out of breath. A young Indian man made a comment about me being "too fat" and for five minutes I just boiled inside wanting to say something but also kick his runt ass. I let it go and gazed intently at the beauty that is Jama Masjid.


This picture is of the busy marketplace just opposite the main entrance to Jama Masjid. I walked around the marketlace for a couple of hours and enjoyed the hussle and bussle of commerce Indian style.



This is a picture I took standing in front of Kashmir Gate. I had just spent a couple of hours in the busy Chandni Chowk area. The metro entrance is just a few feet from where I stood. I boarded the metro and ended up at TGIFs in Connaught Circle (Rajiv Chowk). The vegetarian fajitas brought on memories of evenings eating at Baja Fresh in Portland.

No comments: