Sunday, July 01, 2007
Howard Admits to Land Grab
This picture from ABC News (Australia) captures a soldier talking to an Aboriginal child in the Northern Territory. The accompanying story is baffling because it says that "(t)he chairwoman of the emergency response task force overseeing the Northern Territory intervention plan doubts many child sex abusers in Indigenous communities will be brought to justice."
Huh? So why the big intervention? Is this invasion not supposedly about bringing predators to book. If not, then why is the Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Mal Brough calling for more police officers to be deployed?
There is of course a more 'sinister' reason for this dirty and twisted land invasion!!!
Thanks to Eugene for bringing the article Aboriginal Children Overboard to our attention. There are several other follow-up stories available on Perth IndyMedia so please check them out.
Now it seems like the arrogant Prime Minister is not even hiding his reason for invading the Northern Territory. See this breaking story: John Howard Admits Aboriginal Land Grab Intent." I have copied the article below.
Friday June 29, 2007
"Prime Minister John Howard has this morning admitted, in response to questions by Neil Mitchell on Southern Cross radio, that "if" it comes to taking lands away from Aboriginal communities and Aboriginal people, he will adequately compensate them", WA Rights group Project SafeCom said.
"The Prime Minister's comments, given in his usual, passive, non-denial style in which he makes an initial admission, using his frequently used 'policy by stealth' methodology, have outed Mr Howard's true political intent of the dramatic 'invasion' of the army against the backdrop of health and community workers into Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, with the otherwise valid agenda of creating safety for especially the children in those communities," spokesman Jack H Smit said.
"It is now abundantly clear, what many pundits have suspected during the last week," Mr Smit said. "The taking away of lands from Aboriginal people, and given those lands over to commercial interests and mining companies, was always Mr Howard's intent."
"We know, from the now confirmed departure of the Canadian Stephen Harper government from Canada's previous long-standing commitment to the UN Convention on the Rights of Indigenous people, and confirmed influencing of Canada by Mr Howard in this Canadian decision, where Mr Howard stands in relation to the Rights of Indigenous People," Mr Smit said.
"Now we also know what his intent is for Australian Indigenous people." Mr Smit concluded.
For more information: Jack H Smit, Project SafeCom Inc.
Office 2 (08) 9336-6048 | mobile 0417 090 130
I have also asked folks on Eugene's blog whether an online petition may be a way to collect signatures from those of us who are disgusted with this land grab. Please let me know your thoughts.
Here are 3 more related articles from Perth IndyMedia:
1 Howard’s NT plans will “demoralise Aborigines” (2007-06-27 9:53 PM +0800)
2 Howards military plan causing panic in Indigenous communities (2007-06-26 2:17 AM +0800)
3 Governments draconian solution will add to trauma of children - ANTaR (2007-06-22 2:04 AM +0800)
See also the ANTaR website (Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation). This is their list for mailings/email.
ANTaR also has a petition going. Should we contact them and add our names?
I humbly suggest that those interested should first read the mission statement of ANTar. If we decide to do so we should duplicate efforts by sending a similar petition to:
The Hon. Mal Brough MP
Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
House of Representatives
Canberra ACT 2600
And, CC that petiton to the Australian embassy in Washington D.C. They also have a consulate office in San Francisco.
Please let me know what you think?