Thursday, April 04, 2013

US State of Georgia School to Hold First Racially Integrated Prom Dance

Raw Story
Eic W. Dolan
April 3, 2013.

Though the Supreme Court ruled racial segregation unconstitutional in 1954, parents in a town in Georgia have ensured the doctrine of “separate but equal” survived at prom dances.

But that could all change. Students at Wilcox County High School in south Georgia have organized the school’s very first racially integrated prom, which will be held on April 27.

“We live in rural south Georgia, where not too many things change,” they wrote on a Facebook page they created. “Well, as a group of adamant high school seniors, we want to make a difference in our community. For the first time in the history of our county, we plan to have an integrated prom.”

When the school was integrated 30 years ago, it ended its annual prom and parents began sponsoring their own private dances for students. The prom and homecoming dances have been segregated ever since.

A biracial student tried to attend an all-white prom last year. The incident resulted in the student being turned away and police being called.

“I actually put up posters for the integrated prom and we’ve had people ripping them down at the school,” Keela Bloodworth, one of the organizers of the integrated prom, told local news station WSFA.

*****
Comment: If you check the calendar it will read 2013.  Even here in the delusional rainbow I have not come across a story where a school has segregated functions in the years since Mandela freed white folks.

Though I would not be surprised if there are such examples.

I just luv reading the comments that go with articles like this and this one was my absolute favorite:
Stentor7 - "That's the South for you, partying like it's 1949."
Oh incidentally the momz and I watched a reality program called "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" on the TLC network last night.  It is set in the Peach State of Georgia in a small rural town called McIntyre.

By the way, what the hell kind of learning does TLC (The Learning Channel) think it is doing with this show?

AnyHowze, it was only the second time since watching a couple of minutes of a previous episode a few months ago.  It is a train wreck for sure and it raises all kinds of obvious questions about class exploitation, childcare, nutrition, hygiene, teeth, etc.  But I would rather watch this mess than any of those sickening Kardashians.

I will admit that the lead real-life character, Alana (Honey Boo Boo) cracks me up.  That said I will most likely never go out of my way to watch a show filled with gnats, a chain sneezing mama, a Deliverance-like bad teeth pappy, scummy child pageants, a teenage pregnancy, farting siblings, roadkill entrées, and a big red Dodge doing advertising duty ever again - well not until I am bored senseless and there is nothing else to watch on TV.

You gotta luv the state of Georgia even though I have not visited it beyond Atlanta for more than a decade and counting.

And I have friends who live there - in Atlanta and suburban surrounds that is.

Well now I might just stop in to see the rural town of McIntyre - it looks beautiful with a reported bustling population of 650.  I mean where else can you have a real live freight train run right through your backyard while you barbecue like nothing is out of place?

I can't leave without telling you my favorite line/quote by the precocious Honey Boo Boo from the episode I watched last night.  In reference to her much-loved Uncle Poodle who is gay she said:
"Ain't nothin' wrong with bein' a little gay. Everybody's a little gay."
See there are progressives in Georgia - even if they are barely 7 years old.  ;0)


Onward!
Honey Boo Boo Picture Credit

No comments: